Happy Birthday, Deanie!

Recently, I've been working with clay a lot with my kids at school. We've been creating cute, miniature animals and pea-sized hamburgers and ice cream cones. I've discovered that anything is cute when it's 1/10th its original size! I've fallen so in love with the medium that when my husband's birthday rolled around, I decided I wanted to bake and decorate him a cake using fondant (okay, clay/fondant, not exactly the same thing, but you get where my inspiration was from).

I tossed around a few different ideas (Phx. Suns? a basketball court? an Xbox?) and finally settled on a Super Mario Brothers-inspired cake! I might have been swayed by the bright, fun colors that the Super Mario Bros. theme offered...

Anyway, after a full weekend (read: 15+ hrs.) of baking/mixing/kneading/drawing/cutting, I want to share with you the final product! It's not perfect, but overall I'm pleased with the result, given this is my first time working with fondant...or making a three-layered cake (German chocolate, lemon, and red velvet!)

Happy Birthday, Deanie! Hope you liked your cake. :)











Thanks, Bri/Steph for the fondant recipe!

Alvina  – (March 1, 2011 at 7:32 AM)  

Oh that's fantastic! Love Mario Bros. Very cute :]

Biro  – (March 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM)  

Yay for fondant! What recipe did you use? I've pondered using the "easy" Michael's premade fondant, but I heard it tastes gross...The colors are mixed so well!

Chau  – (March 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM)  

Amazing! Good job! It's hard to believe that it's your first time making and decorating a cake :) I bet Dean was blown away.

The Boones  – (March 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM)  

That looks awesome!!! Mmm...yummy!

The Boones  – (March 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM)  

You now must make Cece's birthday cake every year! hehe! j/k!

Ellen  – (March 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM)  

Wow!! That's awesome, Becca! I wish I were as crafty as you are!

becca  – (March 2, 2011 at 8:27 PM)  

Thank you, all! Dean loved the cake. :) FYI, I used cake mix for the cake...it was just my first time putting three layers together. Haha.

Nancy: I used a recipe passed on to me from a friend! I'll post it. :)

Unknown  – (March 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM)  

Wow! It's definitely a labor of love. It's nice to see work that has so much love and care put into it, no matter the medium (although cake is pretty cool)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© Rebecca Thongkham 2010


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP