Birthday Weekend - The Big 2-5

This past weekend, I celebrated another milestone birthday - the big 2-5! I can't believe I'm already a quarter of a century old. Apparently, neither can random strangers, co-workers, or friendly acquaintances. So it seems that depending on the outfit I'm wearing, I can look anywhere between the age of 12 and 20 (sweatshirt + jeans + tennis shoes = 12-year-old; cute blouse + blazer + jeans + heels + accessory = 20-year-old). It seems 20 is about the max I can usually look. Oh well. That'll come in handy when I'm 40. :)

Since Dean actually had Thursday and Friday off (thanks to furlough days and Cesar Chavez!), we divided up my birthday festivities over the whole 4-day weekend. Yippee!

Thursday: Orange County


Lunch at Shin-Sen-Gumi in Fountain Valley


Ingenious! I wonder why nobody's thought of this spoon design sooner.


The Great Park Balloon at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine. It's one of the largest helium balloons in the world! It's so huge, it looks like a solar eclipse! They offer free rides on Thursdays - Sundays. Since it's currently the Great Park's only major attraction, they use it graphically on all of the park's signage.


I think it makes for super cute signs!


We weren't able to get a ride on the balloon during the day, so we went back at night. The balloon is equally stunning at night when it's lit up from the inside.


A view of the OC/LA from the balloon


Inside the balloon, looking up at the underside. I felt a little like James and the Giant Peach when we were up in the sky dangling from a great big orange ball!

Friday: West LA


Even though they actually have a Sprinkles in AZ too, I've never been there. Since I subscribe to their twitter feed, I a get secret word everyday for a free cupcake. We finally decided to drive over to Beverly Hills on Friday, brave the lines, and sample a Sprinkles cupcake!


Hop for cupcakes!


Red Velvet cupcake with cute, "Sprinkles" laser-etched wooden forks


After cupcakes, we headed over to Santa Monica to watch the sunset over the ocean. Breathtaking!


We went to Cafe Bizou that night for LobsterFest! Yum.

Saturday:

I received a lovely edible arrangement from my friend Hoi!! It had the most deliciously sweet strawberries, cantaloupes, pineapples, chocolate-covered apples, and grapes. :)

Movie: Where the Wild Things Are

We went back to the Great Park for the Movie-On-The-Lawn to watch Where the Wild Things Are. We packed a picnic dinner and lay in the grass watching the movie with a blanket of stars above us and the Great Park Balloon behind us!

Sunday:


Since Sunday was my actual birthday, Dean woke up and made me breakfast! He made strawberry-banana pancakes, garnished with a strawberry heart. :)


After church, Dean's mom took us out for lunch for my birthday. I chose Brodard for lunch because I've heard fabulous things about their Nem Nuong Cuon (grilled pork spring rolls). They didn't disappoint!


Birthday lunch with Dean's family.

And that wraps up my birthday weekend! Pheew. Thanks to everybody who called/texted/fbed me! I am truly blessed.

*For more pics from the weekend, go here.



Julie  – (March 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM)  

how was where the wild things are?

becca  – (April 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM)  

it was okay. i actually don't remember the book much, so i'm not sure how true to the book it was. i think both dean and james were very bored, though.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© Rebecca Thongkham 2010


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP