Studio in a Studio

I was chatting on the phone the other day with my brother-in-law and was telling him about my new crafting studio in our new apartment. He stopped for a second and then asked, "Wait - you have a studio in your studio?"

Well, yes, I guess I do! As you know, we moved recently into a new place and while it is technically a studio, and as such is quite small, I desperately wanted a space that I could call my own. A space where I could create, where I could organize all my tools and materials and have them at arm's length!

After presenting my proposals to Dean (in the form of sketches and floor plans), he graciously allowed me to turn our dining area into my very own studio! What a sweetheart. We now eat either at the breakfast bar or parked at the coffee table in front of our TV. I think he's okay with this arrangement. :)

Here's how the space looked before - so sad and forlorn (okay, maybe that's just the poor, indoor lighting at night).
And here's a look at my studio now - so bright and cheery. :)

After lots of research, I settled on a VIKA AMON tabletop with two VIKA ARTUR trestle legs with shelves. They would have cost $90 brand-new from Ikea, but I lucked out and was able to find the whole set on Craigslist for $45. I love how the trestle legs are adjustable so that I can set the whole tabletop a couple inches higher to help prevent back fatigue when I stand up for projects.

The four cubes on the right and the ribbon spool were all bought from Michaels when they had a 50% off sale. The bookshelf on the left is from Wal-Mart. (Would not recommend buying furniture from Wal-Mart. It was such a pain to put together.)

Some details: Hope you enjoyed that peek into my little studio. :)

Shang  – (February 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM)  

Dude, Becca, that looks near-darn professional! Love! I sure could use some help getting my living room revamped :P

Julie  – (February 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM)  

you mean, the orchid dean had you buy yourself for v-day? :)

i am impressed that you have a dining room / craft space in your studio... although, maybe they should've reworked that into a bedroom somehow instead.

Unknown  – (February 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM)  

I love the badly-lit-sad-before-picture and the natural-sunlight-world-is-wonderful-after-picture! It's like those late-night infomercials where the girl is all frowning and splotchy before she tried this new amazing diet pill and lost 10 pounds (suddenly in makeup and grinning like crazy)!

The Boones  – (February 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM)  

LOVE it!!! Still working on making my own. =( Very impressive! You should come and design our space for me. What are the 15 things you learned from Ray Charles?

becca  – (February 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM)  

thanks for love, guys! :)

Grace: I should have been more clear - I meant the 15 things I learned from Charles & Ray Eames (designers)!

Check it out: http://www.dareusa.com/monocle/archives/1115

The Boones  – (March 1, 2010 at 7:15 AM)  

haha...I see. It doesn't help that I've been sick and my brain is a bit cloudy! I must admit that it really didn't make sense to me that you would have a list of things you learned from Ray Charles. As talented as he was, he didn't live the "cleanest" life so to say. Couldn't think of a better word. sorry. =)

Christine  – (March 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM)  

Becca, I thought the 2nd picture was out of a magazine. You have amazing, amazing talent in decorating, design, etc. I will definitely be referring to your wedding blog for ideas when I get married!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© Rebecca Thongkham 2010


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP